Sunday, March 8, 2009

Africa and AIDS

Triple S and I watched the Zulu-language movie "Yesterday" tonight (yes, we sure know how to pick happy movies).

The movie is about a a mother who finds out that she has HIV. I searched on the internet to find out some more info, and found the Avert site.

I knew that AIDS has been ravaging many sub-Saharan countries since the 90s, a situation made worse by political turmoil and even outright refusal to promote the use of condoms and education. From the website's front page:

"More than eleven million children have been orphaned by AIDS."

This is terrible. Unacceptable.

For those of you considering adoption, perhaps this is a continent to look into. 11 million children need family. I will surely keep it in my mind.

4 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

The Stephen Lewis foundation does and continues to do alot of the work. Some of the children are orphans, some - many - are cared for by their grandmothers.

Donna said...

This makes me so sad. There are so many children around the world in need of love and support.

k@lakly said...

It's shameful isn't it? That in our country of so much there are still children who somehow manage to survive without even the most basic of human needs, a mother.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to hunt down that movie.