Friday, March 6, 2009

On Monk and the Present Moment

We are not DVRing Monk anymore. I can't stand his pathetic, self-centeredness.

His wife died. Neither the reason nor the killer have never been discovered. He doesn't know why.

But he also hasn't accepted life. He isn't living in the present.

The last episode I watched, I had enough.

I am not where 'he' is.
My husband and I have figured out how to be healthy, how to live, after our baby girl died, even though we don't know why or how.

My husband says, of course, it's supposed to be funny. But I don't find it funny. A man that ill is not funny. A man so hurt that he is living in the past and in his own world of dysfunction is not entertainment.

I try to live in the present. I try to focus on my breath. I try to sit straight. Monk was bringing me down.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never looked at Monk that way. Good analogy.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't like that show either. It's not funny, just sad. Good for you for letting it go!

Barbara said...

I never got that show, I think you've just hit the nail on the head.

We have such a different perspective these days.

xxx

AnnaBelle said...

I've done that with other shows when there is a horrible episode or if the violence just gets to me (Law and Order and such).

It's interesting the different things each of us just can't watch any more, isn't it?

(I'm still a Monk fan, but with the last season coming up I really think there is going to be a lame final episode)

CLC said...

I've never watched it. But I am glad you decided to stop if it was bringing you down.

erica said...

I still enjoy it, but am only on season 2. Right after Teddy died it was helpful to me to see a character that broken who was surviving in spite of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if someday I see it the same way you do now.

I'm glad you're letting it go and no longer letting it bring you down.

k@lakly said...

I'm not a fan of the show although I've seen a few episodes but I can totally see why that would turn you off. It's a hard fought batt;e you've won and seeing someone else make a mockery of it is insulting to say the least.

Stick to reruns of "friends" they're pretty harmless:)

Sophie said...

I don't watch Monk but from you said I can totally understand why you don't watch it.

xx