Thursday, February 5, 2009

Preserving death does not preserve life

I just picked up the February 2009 issue of the National Geographic magazine. "What Darwin Didn't Know". 'Oh this should be interesting,' I thought, 'especially since I am currently reading the Origin of Species.' However, when I picked up the magazine, I didn't grab all the pages, and it fell open to a photo near the back, of a mummy propped against a wall.

"What the hell is this?"

I was mesmerized. The photos, the concept, completely drew me in. Why, exactly, I don't know. It is more than macabre, for it truly is death.

While I didn't absolutely care for the tone of entire article, at least it is putting death out there. For the living to see.

3 comments:

Azaera said...

When I was younger I used to be obsessed with death, my grama died when I was a kid. I used to do lots of projects on it in school. One of the most interesting things to me was adipocre. There was this picture of a little girl who died over a hundred years ago, and her body was perfectly preserved and it looked as though she was simply asleep. She looked so serene..

Azaera said...

adipocere* I mispelled it.

k@lakly said...

I imagine most will turn away, you know, see no evil...blah, blah, blah